Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shake That Money-Maker

So truthfully, I couldn't help myself but use such a post title, but there is some viability to it, I promise. I even give you my Scout's Honor. GRINS

So, let's learn how to shake that money-maker. Shake what your momma' gave you. That applies less here than the latter, but we'll run with it. The point of this article is to persuade more writers to bypass those nasty blocks (which I believe are more writer caused than natural) and pump out a word count which you can be proud of at the end of a day. I've recently been introduced to a website known as 750words.com. This is an interesting little tool that helps track your writing for the day. But c'mon! We're all better than 750 words a day. Where's that 2k word mark that you've always said you can breach. Are you one of those writers who has freed up his/her day for writing? Then you end up paying hard on that decision when that evil block pops up.

How do you get past this?

My answer has always been to plan ahead for the worst (the worst being events that you know might interfere with a planned writing day). You truly need to invest in this time that will expand your manuscript and make it grow. You need to dive headfirst into that sea of words, formatting and disgusting red and green grammar lines. Put yourself and your work first. If you have promised to make a writing day, do not break off that track. Motivation is the key here. Use music if it helps carry you along. For me, I keep everything silent. I shut off all volume on my notebook so those pesky gChat, AIM and Facebook sounds don't tempt me. I then expand my word document to full screen (a nice iWorks feature) so I do not become tempted by the "1 new tweet" message hanging on my Twitter feed. Do whatever you can!

The possibility of writing for a few good hours to reach your 2k is not unheard of. You simply need to set priorities straight and be sure that you are equally invested in the writing as the seeing the payoff at the end. For every beginning, there is an end and the cycle continues.

Question: Have you planned a writing day and seen it fall apart? What are your experiences?

Bye for now!

JWP

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes my day just gets away from and then I'm writing at night until the wee hours. I try to stick to my page quota no matter what though. I'd never get anything finished otherwise. Funny thing that you need complete silence. I have to have my music going and the fan swiveling and my Droid beeping or I feel like I'm in a vacume.

    Happy writing and thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I'm trying to figure out a way to set a writing goal for each day, something that allows for productivity but doesn't set unrealistic expectations. All too often, I've set lofty goals or created ridiculous schedules I can't possibly keep. When I can't meet them, I grow discouraged and stop working for a time, thinking myself a failure. I think it's really important to keep Real Life in mind when setting writing goals. It's not something we can ignore (although we may want to at times).

    I also think it's important to not totally freak out (*ahem*CLAIRE*ahem*) when something happens to interfere with our writing schedules. I mean, sometimes stuff happens, and you don't have control over it. It's not the end of the world; it's simply a minor detour.

    I'm toying with a couple of schedule options right now, either setting aside a couple of hours a day (at a consistent time) or setting a reasonable daily word count goal. I haven't quite figured out what works best yet, but it's always a process, isn't it? ;)

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great subject! I am dealing with this right now. I am trying to figure out what is a reasonable goal for myself considering I work 60 hours a week already. I startied my manuscript a year ago and wrote a little here and there but didn't make much progress. So recently I made a commitment to write everyday. I figured even if I write a paragraph it's better than nothing.
    I have set aside a day to try to write and I get very distracted. Music helps along with a bowl of jellybeans. I am hoping the more I write the easier it will be to stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My writing days always seem to fall apart and I have great writing days when I don't plan them! These days, Real Life's been intruding in on my fictional worlds, which has been making my characters very tetchy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do my best work when I'm slacking off, so I don't plan, but I do know what you mean by distractions.

    I popped over here from Donna Hole's blog to follow you. The more the merrier, right?

    Good post and nice blog you've got here:) Love the title and the blurb!

    ReplyDelete

"Little by Little, One Goes Far." -- J.R.R Tolkien.

I believe this as a philosophy, from a man who saw war and setback, and conquered all to bring us the greatest fantasy series that has ever been published. Leave your little comment and I'll get back to you.