Sunday, June 13, 2010

New WiP

So I casually looked at my latest attempt at a WiP last night around 11. Why does it seem that this small piece of a chapter (only 4 pages so far) sounds so much better than my current manuscript material. Granted, it does not belong to the same genre so I guess there is an explanation in that.

I have to say that I never saw myself writing much else besides Fantasy. It has and always will be my first love. I have done small writings for my minor portfolio, some of which I hope to revisit later (ie: Mephistopheles).

So the current WiP is a long awaited project attempt with Tara (@SuiteMagic). We decided after she having written almost 3 full manuscripts of the YA Fantasy genre, and I bits and pieces of 2 Epic Fantasy manuscripts (3rd in planning), we needed to get away from Fantasy for a brief time.

So the project is historical fiction about Pirates and their involvement with the sacking of 17th century French ports. We wanted to add some form of magical-realism into it originally, and that was scrapped, but I want to revisit the idea and make the magical-realism element not as fantasy, and a little more on the explainable side. Yes, you are asking yourself how do you explain magical-realism anything in the context of 17th century Pirates and the Royal French Navy.

Alas, this is the challenge of a WiP. We plan to use the Catacombs of Paris in it, too, which is an amazing setting alone. I hope this project works out. It seems my writing is somewhat stronger here, but I digress. Tara and I agreed that this will be another project for us to work full-steam on once we move to Florida.

Thanks for reading and bye for now!

JWP

1 comment:

  1. 57 days until Florida! And now that you mention this magical-realism thing to me...which I had to read in your post here (=P) I'll start brainstorming ideas. =)

    ((By the way, my twitter is no longer @SuiteMagic, it is now @Aleatore_Tara...I changed it, remember? =P) =D

    ReplyDelete

"Little by Little, One Goes Far." -- J.R.R Tolkien.

I believe this as a philosophy, from a man who saw war and setback, and conquered all to bring us the greatest fantasy series that has ever been published. Leave your little comment and I'll get back to you.